Further community engagement begins on applications
Regeneration specialist Menta, along with housebuilder Redrow, have just submitted planning applications for a major new residential-led regeneration scheme next to East Croydon Station, and a key piece of infrastructure for the town.
Following community consultation in spring this year, the joint venture developers, along with Make Architects and GL Hearn planning, have submitted a planning application to deliver the Morello Quarter Phase II development on Cherry Orchard Road. A second application has also been submitted for a bridge link connecting Addiscombe, through the Morello II development, into East Croydon station.
Morello II will deliver 445 new homes and landscaped ‘cafe culture’ public spaces, along with flexible community and small business space, on a gateway site next to East Croydon train station. The development will also complete the public East Croydon bridge link that will provide a much-desired connection between central Croydon, with all its shops, facilities and transport links, and the Addiscombe community.
The plans submitted include:
- 445 new homes (338 within two 25 storey towers; 107 in a building of five-nine storeys)
- Affordable housing – shared ownership to help local people get on the property ladder
- Completion of an east/west pedestrian link from Central Croydon, through east Croydon Train Station into Addiscombe and beyond
- New pedestrian entrance into East Croydon Station via a high quality landscaped public space, new stairs and a temporary link structure connecting to the existing station bridge
- Cafe culture retail on the ground floor, creating a sense of arrival at the new station entrance
- Flexible community and small business space, accessible to Addiscombe residents
- Retention of Cherry Orchard/ Oval Road public ‘pocket park’ and the majority of mature trees
- Creation of new green and play spaces for the new residents
- Basement parking to ensure clutter-free landscaped public spaces throughout Morello Quarter
- Gateway buildings of exceptional design quality
Comments Craig Marks, Chief Executive at Menta:
“Menta Redrow would like to thank local people for all their support to date; the team has listened and explored all feedback received over the last few months. We are committed to delivering a desirable place to live and work, with quality homes and new community spaces. We are also committed to delivering better links to shops and public transport and will fund, build and install the new bridge link, subject to all necessary Network Rail and Croydon Council consents.”
Comments Ricardo Rossetti, Planning Director at Redrow:
“Together with Menta, we have now delivered 300 new homes for East Croydon, including affordable homes in partnership with Family Mosaic. We are enthusiastic to continue that delivery programme with this latest phase of Morello and, subject to planning permission being granted for both applications, we are working towards starting on site in 2018.”
With the applications now submitted, Menta Redrow will carry out further community engagement to update local people on the final plans submitted and how these have evolved following consultation feedback. A community newsletter will be circulated locally, the project website www.morello2-croydon.co.uk updated, and a follow up Community Forum* event held to encourage local people to support the planning process. Croydon Council’s planning department will also commence its own statutory consultation.
*If you represent local businesses, residents, local interest groups or some other community body and would like to attend a meeting in October/November to talk through the final plans, please contact GL Hearn at Morello2(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)glhearn.com or call Tom Byrne/Alphie Burgess on 0344 225 0003 to register your interest.